Cathy Staats Memorial Fund Results
When my mom, who was Lift Them Up International's biggest fan, passed away in August, we asked that Memorial Donations be made to LTU on her behalf, to help feed the children in our Nutrition Program, in the southern region of Rwanda.
In the Nyaraguru region, our church partners have identified over 800 children, who are at high risk of starvation without outside intervention. Drought, post-genocidal poverty, and 100,000s of refugees fleeing DR Congo and Burundi and competing for resources, makes life in this region difficult. Many of the kids in our program only get to eat once every 4 days.
But friends and family rallied to the cause and because of the generosity shown in honor of Cathy's life, here's what we were able to do with it:
- The Memorial Fund raised $5,297
- 7,288 meals were served to orphans and other vulnerable children
- With each meal, a serving of gummy vitamins was handed out
- Every $1 donated provide 1.5 meals (we average 1.5 to 2 meals per dollar, depending on local markets and seasons)
- This put LTU over 20,000 meals served 'mark', since we started the Nutrition Program in 2017!
My mom would have been thrilled to see this! In fact, I have no doubt that she did get to see it, from heaven, with Jesus. And she got to hear the words, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."